Monday, 1 September 2014

10 Quilty Little Secrets

I'm taking a break from taking a break, so that I can join in the fun of sharing my top 10 quilty secrets, along with everyone else over at 13 Spools...

13 Spools

I think I'm pretty open with my quilting process, and have made no secret of my thoughts on the matter...

Example #1...

... OK, so that's a joke, but, as with all good jokes, it has a touch of truth to it :)

So perhaps these are not so much quilty secrets as they are my own personal quiltisms...

1. I don't love, LOVE, LURRRRRRRRVE!!! fabric (I'm much more interested in the finished look of the quilt than the look of the individual fabrics).

2. I have no desire to build a stash. I mostly buy just the fabric I need for a project. I do buy a touch too much, though, so my stash is building slowly. I imagine that if my stash gets too big, I will feel the urge to make something out of what I have before I move onto to something that I was already planning to do.

3. I save scraps because I can't handle the idea of wasting them, but I can't imagine ever using them.

4. I love the maths/art involved with coming up with an idea for a quilt, but don't particularly enjoy the process of turning that idea into a reality, especially measuring and cutting the fabric. I find the whole quilting process equally relaxing and stressful (although I guess it must be a little more relaxing, or, at least, rewarding, for me to continue doing it).

5. As you may have guessed from my little picture, above, I am not a big fan of pinning or pressing, and only do it when I deem it necessary (which is probably not as often as most others deem it necessary). And, yes, my "pressing" is a lot more like ironing with steam than the pressing that I have seen in video clips on youtube.

6. This may be clear by now, but I tend to do things in such a lazy way as to make things harder for myself. I also simultaneously crave chaos and order, and struggle to keep the balance.

7. I would be happy to make just quilt tops and never quilt them or bind them (if they were of any practical use in and of themselves), but I would really, REALLY dislike someone else turning my quilt top into a finished quilt. I'm not sure if this means I have control issues, or I just don't work well as part of a team, but I'm sure it says something about my personality (and it ain't good).

8. Generally speaking, I hate ironing (my ironing board cover says IRONING BORED all over it), yet I really enjoy making and ironing my own binding. Go figure.

9. Machine binding all the way! I love the look, the sturdiness, and the ease.

10. I've only finished three quilts, so I haven't had a chance to build up 10 quilty secrets, and I imagine the ones above may change over time anyway, but it has been fun to join in :)

linking up to: 
'10 Quilty Little Secrets' at 13 Spools

Thursday, 28 August 2014

Taking a Break

While I've been in the process of making my latest quilt (and matching cushion), I have really gone about things haphazardly, and managed to demotivated myself by doing so. Part of it was that I was over eager to get back into sewing again, so I just starting doing what I could with what I had and rushing too much, but largely it is because I am incredibly unorganised at the moment and using the wrong tools for the job at hand.

Solution: It's time to tidy up!

I have decided to spend however long it takes to get on top of my chaos before attempting to finish the quilt or starting on any other creative adventure.

This may take a while...

Monday, 25 August 2014

Back to Sewing

Last weekend I bought a new sewing machine! I know I really should have gotten one of my old ones fixed, but this machine was cheap and on special (it was the last one they had in stock and had been used as a demo machine in store). It didn't come with a box, but it was about 30% off the regular price, and came with a free sewing machine trolley bag (which I have never had before), and it meant I could start sewing straight away, so I bought it.

And, of course, I have been sewing...

I got the idea for this quilt top after seeing this pattern on a desk chair at my husband's office...

I plan on backing it with the material from an old dress of mine...

Happy Monday, everyone!

linking up to :
'Fabric Tuesday' at Quilt Story